Friday, December 04, 2009

God's Word - Weapon or Protection?

I had someone ask me this week, "Is it ever inappropriate to share God's word with a child and if so at what age?"

On the surface this is an easy question; right? Given some basic Bible knowledge, it's always appropriate to share God's word. However, with a little deeper knowledge of the Bible, there are some stories and verses that, in my opinion, are not age appropriate for children 4 and under or even some of the elementary aged crowd. Yes, I realized this was a loaded or trick question but from the person who asked it the trick was their motive. They worded the question to serve their purpose. They were also attempting to use my position in children's ministry to force my answer; i.e. "As a children's ministry director, at what age do you believe it inappropriate to share God's word with a child?"

Have you ever used God's word as a weapon? I mean, a weapon to justify your actions or to make someone else feel guilty? Have you ever used it to win an argument even if you knew you were taking His word out of context to do it? Maybe pulling out the verse about wives submitting to their husbands to "put a wife in her place" (Ephesians 5:21-33; read the whole thing) or the verse about money being the root of all evil, to blame money instead of our greed. The verse says the "...love of money is a root of all kinds of evil" (1 Timothy 6:10). I've had to read it myself.

I have so much yet to learn but in my relationship with Christ, He has never used His word to hurt me. His word builds me up, corrects me, comforts me, directs me, (directs me again and again) and gives me strength, grace, peace, joy, conviction, wisdom and love. His word is for protection against evil. it is an integral piece of the full armor of God (Ephesians 6:10-18). It is not ever to be mistaken for a weapon used in personal gain or justification.

So- let's think about how we use the Bible. Is it an every day part of life? Is is something only heard about on Sunday? What about only when there is one of those "controversial" stories in the news?

Please take the time to read it today and this week. Not just a verse or two or even a chapter- how about one whole book of the Bible? The books referenced above are some I would recommend, but really I suggest reading where you are led. Pray for God's guidance before opening the Bible. I'm genuinely interested in learning what you have to say about what you find.

And as for my answer to the question: As a children's ministry director and child of God I believe if you are sharing God's word to share His love, then there is no age limit. Pray with me that we continue to learn and grow in His word and will.

Wisdom and Joy in Christ,
Amy

No comments: