Friday, June 26, 2009

Inspired yet?

Okay, so all that talk about reading and inspiration- I'll go first. Here's a note about something I read that inspired me.

I read a book by John Steinbeck recently called "The Pearl". I can't claim to be a fan of his or to have read many of his books that I wasn't required to read in school. I just happened upon this book at the library and decided to give it a try. The Pearl is the retelling of an old Mexican folk tale and plays out the battle between greed and contentment through the desire to rise above your "station" in life and provide a better future/better opportunities for your family than you had growing up. A relevant topic; I could relate. It was sad yet triumphant; a good read.

What actually inspired me more than the story though was something shared at the back of the book about John Steinbeck. It says that "...throughout his life he signed his letters with his personal 'Pigasus logo', symbolizing himself 'a lumbering soul but trying to fly'". There is a picture of a pig with wings and above it there are Latin words that read "Ad Astra Per Alla Porci". The translation is "To the stars on the wings of a pig".

Of course pigs don't fly, so how is this inspiring you ask? It is inspiring to me for someone who was as outwardly successful as any famous person could be, during his life, that he knows the reality that we are never "all that". I'm inspired when people who achieve earthly fame respect the fact that this is all temporary (Matthew 6:19-20), and don't get caught up in all the compliments- empty or genuine- and the attention/money and remember who they really and forever will be. Just a human being.

Staying humble is a gift. As I mentioned in an earlier post, in our weakness He is strong and that works two wonderful ways. One - He can use us in spite of our flaws and mistakes and work through us even in our weakness. Two - we must stay humble and give Him the glory and honor for all the blessings and success to truly be followers of Christ and lead people to know Him. When we start taking the credit for achievements and forgetting to praise and honor the Lord we are not leading people to Him- we are leading them to us, and no matter how "fabulous" we are, we will let them down. We are not perfect. Period. (Need to hear it again, like music? Just listen to the Mary, Mary lyrics in "It's the God in me".)

It is so good to hear our names called as the inventor, the artist, the author, the champion, the award winner, the hero but when we start believing that we achieved it alone then we are being fooled. We are listening to that prideful voice in our heads that says, "Hmmm, I did do that, look at me, Go Me, Go Me!" I can only imagine how hard it is not to buy into the lies people tell you when you are famous. We want to be told and to believe we are special, accepted and liked. We want to believe we are "smarter than the average bear" and in control of our future. In my own life I have learned many times, many ways, I simply and truly do not have the better plan. When I depend on myself and start chasing my ideas and my plans, I end up going in circles or giving up. When I take the time to pray and seek the Lord's will, His paths are straight and have purpose and bear fruit. His plan is always better than mine!

Take the time to ask Him today, what His plan is for the problem you're solving or the future that you dream of. Stay humble, pray without ceasing and stay focused on Christ. Being a "people pleaser" myself, it has taken me all 40 of my years to understand and submit to why following God is more valuable than chasing my own dreams, chasing someone else's or as nice as I desire to be, chasing the approval of others. Even knowing I will never be able to please everyone rarely stops me from trying. With all the praise and criticism readily available here on earth I can honestly tell you the most precious praise I will forever seek is my Father in Heaven's gentle words when I meet Him. "Well done my good and faithful servant".

Because He loved us first,
Amy

No comments: