Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Reading is "Fun"damental...

Do you read? For fun, for education, only when you have to, never?

I am a fun and/or learning reader. Of course, for fun is the easiest and to read for learning at this stage in my life usually fueled by something God is leading me to, something I need to know about for my children or a subject or title that I've been encouraged to read by someone I respect.

Most of the time reading is my "escape", my quiet time, something I do for myself kinda thing. I'm trying to pass on this love and value of reading to my children. My two boys and I frequent the library. We even know how to work the self check out. Seriously!! This summer we've been reading poetry and listening to more audio books but the most valuable book I'm reading with them right now (though it is taking us a few months to get through because I read it at bedtime on the nights that I am not so exhausted I can't see to read) is a book by James Dobson on adolescence. It brings up a lot of topics and issues I am uncomfortable with but God has impressed on me how important this time in their lives is and that if my husband and I (he's is talking to them too) are not talking to them about this stuff then they will form their opinions and morals from people who are not uncomfortable talking about it. Do I even have to go there to tell you why I need to be pro-active against that???!!!!

I have always been a reader, even when I was little. I know it has a lot to do with my parents reading to me every night at bed time. That was a time I looked forward to every day (though going to sleep was a completely different story back then). I enjoyed the stories, the time with my Mom and/or Dad, the comfort, the questions, the just one more story pleeeaaaase! It was a great help as I learned how to read, expanded my vocabulary and realized that a good book could make any day better (especially a bad one). I am a HUGE fan of reading with my kids and I highly recommend it for every parent and child.

So reading came easily, made sense, and helped me perform better in every other aspect of my life (except maybe for calculating math in my head). You might say, well Amy, "miss reader pants" reading is not fun for everyone. No- really? Why in the world not?

Okay, okay, I do know that a big part of my life has been spent with children. I know that we all learn differently and not everyone is made with the "YAY reading" gene. What I have learned though is that everyone loves a good story. Their definition of what a good story is may be different and some would rather watch or hear than read but everyone loves a good story. We love to be drawn into another world, shown how someone is getting through something we can relate to, live vicariously through someone else's experiences and most of all be INSPIRED by someone else's life, career, battle, perseverance, compassion and love.

SO... I challenge you to find something to read or listen to or watch that inspires you today! The Bible is the first book that comes to mind to recommend, but there are many books out there that God can use to love and grow and inspire us if we let Him. He is in all things you know. :-)

Better yet, share the most inspiring story of love and sacrifice ever told, the story of the cross, with someone who has never heard it. How about someone you know who has heard it. Could be the start of a conversation that includes someone's inspiring story you wouldn't have heard otherwise...

I'd love to hear what you're reading or listening to and how God is inspiring you!

Peace and Love in Christ,

Amy Gieger
Children's Ministry Director

No comments: